Hello all,

Images of this year’s conference can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/groups/arlisna08/

We encourage conference participants to add their own digital images to the group. For a PDF tutorial on how to join the ARLIS/NA Annual 2008 Flickr group and how to add your images, please go to http://tinyurl.com/6f6ajg

Thanks,

Bryan Loar and Tom Riedel

Dear Colleagues,

This is a reminder that all content for this year’s conference proceedings should be sent to me by June 12, 2008. We will be posting papers, presentations, virtual posters, and/or minutes from all sessions, workshops, and meetings for the conference. As last year, this year’s proceedings will be entirely web-based and accessible on the ARLIS/NA website, therefore full-text and PowerPoint presentations of sessions and workshops are acceptable formats. If you would prefer to send your file as a PDF, that would be ideal, as I will be submitting all content to our webmaster in PDF format. If you have large files to attach, there are several free services available through the Web to assist you, such as http://mailbigfile.com.

Since some of you might be including copyrighted images in your presentations, please note that you will need to secure permission from the vendor/creator prior to publishing them in the proceedings. All authors publishing full presentations in any format will be asked to sign the Publication Agreement on the ARLIS/NA website (http://www.arlisna.org/artdoc/cta.pdf).

All materials should be sent to me electronically at elearned@rwu.edu.

Thank you!

Betsy Peck Learned
Interim Dean of University Libraries
Roger Williams University
1 Old Ferry Rd.
Bristol, RI 02809-2921
Phone: 401-254-3625
Fax: 401-254-3565
Email: elearned@rwu.edu

Mountain West organized conference: ARLIS/MW was established in 1996 by librarians from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. Prior to 1996, the chapter was the “ARLIS/Arizona Chapter”, established in 1978. So this conference is not just a Denver First, but a Mountain West First!!

We as a chapter have thrown ourselves into providing a learning experience that is also enjoyable. We have tried to consider things big and small — from water in your registration pack to that big D.A.M. party! Individuals in the chapter and beyond the chapter have contributed unique touches to enhance the conference experience. You will find an ARLIS Membership table in the exhibits, and job postings in the hospitality area. Throughout you will see the unique conference logo designed by a student at the Art Institute of Colorado as part of a contest sponsored by Mountain West chapter. (See the virtual poster session about the contest here on the conference blog).

We look forward to seeing you in Denver! You are why we did it!

*This posting on behalf of the Denver co-chairs (Peggy Keeran and Tom Riedel for Local Arrangements and Jeanne Brown and Mary Graham for Program) and the entire Conference Planning Advisory Committee whose brainstorms resulted in many of the approaches we are calling Denver Firsts!

Are you interested in joining the Travel Awards Committee? We’re looking for 2-3 new members to assist us with giving awards that encourage participation in ARLIS/NA and assist students and new professionals with attending the conferences!

Please contact me off-list if you are interested in learning more or joining the committee. The Committee meeting will be held on Saturday from 12:30-2 at the Mad Greens restaurant (http://www.madgreens.com/). Please contact me if you plan on attending the meeting so that we can coordinate meeting and walking to the restaurant.

Jennifer Friedman
Incoming Chair, Travel Awards Committee

Dear membership,

The Artist Files Working Group is scheduled to meet on Saturday, May 3, 5-6pm in the Mt. Elbert Conference Room. Below is the agenda for the meeting.

For those interested in this specific project or artist files in general, we welcome your participation. For more background on our activities, please see the minutes of our last meeting in Atlanta: http://www.arlisna.org/news/conferences/2007/proceedings/wg_artistfiles.pdf

Regards,

Jon Evans
Artist Files Working Group Meeting Agenda

Denver 2008

Saturday, May 3, 5:00-6:00 PM

Mt. Elbert Conference Room
I. Welcome & Introductions – Jon Evans

II. Overview of progress since last meeting – Jon Evans, Sally McKay and Barbara Rominski

III. Best practices documents update – Jon Evans

IV. Directory update and presentation – Sally McKay and Barbara Rominski

V. Marketing plan – Kraig Binkowski

VI. Goals for the coming year – Jon Evans

VII. Other business

VIII. Adjourn

Hi Museum Librarians,

Rather than print the 2007 minutes for you to review at the MLD meeting Saturday I’d like to point you to the copy available on line. We’ll still have the formal approval of the minutes but you’ll have to read them in advance of the meeting.

http://www.arlisna.org/news/conferences/2007/proceedings/proceed_index.html
The minutes are a pdf located under the ‘Division’ heading.

thanks!

Amy Ballmer
aballmer@artic.edu

Denver isn’t actually in the Rocky Mountains, but sits east of them on the plains. Still, at 5280 feet, our weather can be a little, well, rocky. Today, for example, we should see a temperature of about 80 degrees. Tomorrow, a little cooler. Thursday, we’re looking at a high in the 40s with rain and possibly even a little snow. So, as much as we tried to schedule perfect weather for your visit to Denver, we are now encouraging you to bring warm clothing and umbrellas. For updates on weather, check accuweather.com or weather.com.

Even though it may be damp for the first part of your visit, we encourage those of you who are visiting from lower altitudes to stay hydrated. If you’re not used to it, the altitude can make you feel weak, dizzy or headachy. Your best defense is to drink plenty of fluids and not push yourself-we’ll give you a bottle of water at the registration desk as a reminder. And, even though it may be cloudy at times, sun block is never a bad idea at higher altitudes.

One last caveat not related to weather or altitude at all: there are two Hyatt hotels in downtown Denver. The Grand Hyatt is the conference hotel; the Hyatt Regency is a few blocks away at the Convention Center. So, make sure you get to the correct Hyatt so you won’t miss any of the action!

Tom Riedel
Local Arrangements Co-chair

Book Arts Roundtable meeting May 4, 2008, Denver, Colorado

*Meeting to start at 5:30 p.m., Mt. Wilson room, Grand Hyatt

I. General Introductions

Outgoing moderator: Tony White (Indiana University)

Incoming moderator: Yuki Hibben (Virginia Commonwealth University)

II. Announcements College Book Art Association (CBAA)

CBAA Conference – January 2009 (call for papers: deadline June 1)

NY Art Book Fair

Contemporary Artist’s Books Conference (NYC)

Other

III. Transition from Roundtable to Discussion Group

What next?

Should the group continue?

What is the role of the Moderator?

IV. Nominations Nominate moderator-elect/discussion group leader

V. New Business/Discussions

Blog?

Open to the floor

Tony White Moderator, Book Arts Roundtable

The Cataloging Problems Discussion Group is scheduled to meet at lunchtime on Sunday, 1-2 pm. Box lunches are available from the hotel restaurant, 1876, so bring your sandwich and let’s talk about cataloging.

I’ve prepared an overview of the year in art cataloging and posted it at http://artcataloging.net/arlisna/cpdg2008overview.doc — sections on the CAC exhibitions publications guidelines underway, OPACs and 2.0 endeavors, LCSH, MARC, NACO/SACO, etc. We can talk about those topics or whatever fills your cataloger brain. One thing I’d like to talk about is the MARC proposal for a new heading use code, especially as CPSO has promised an easing of the NAF/SAF divide. This is spelled out in a bit more detail in the overview.

Looking forward to seeing folks in Denver.

Sherman Clarke
New York University Libraries
sherman.clarke@nyu.edu

Dear all,

I am just confirming the details re: DART’s breakfast meeting on Sunday in Denver. We will meet at 8:45 AM, so as to have a few minutes to order breakfast, etc., before the 9 AM meeting. We will meet in the hotel restaurant: “1876,” on the Lobby level. Come one, come all, just please let me know, if you can, asap, so I may have a final count.
Also, any agenda items to add are most welcome.

Thanks very much, and safe travels – Rebecca

-Rebecca Friedman
Co-Chair, DART
rfriedma@princeton.edu
609-258-3163

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.