ARLIS/NA Communications & Publications Committee
Business Meeting
Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:30 – 2:00 pm
Denver Grand Hyatt – Mt. Wilson

AGENDA

12:30-1:00
1. Welcome and introductions

2. Old Business:

A. Approval of 2007 Annual Business Meeting minutes

B. 2007 Annual Report review:

1. Chair’s report (R. Lawson)
Co-Publishing agreements
Policy Manual Section R, including revised Author’s agreement (PM R12)
Art Documentation peer review survey

2. Editors’ reports (J. Dyki, E. Markson, J. Stahl, K. Binkowski)

3. At-large members’ reports (J. Franklin, M. Ruddy, L. Viverette)

4. EB Liaison’s Report (S. Koskinen)

1:00-1:10 Break

1:10-2:00
3. New Business:

A. Thanks to outgoing EB liaison S. Koskinen; welcome new liaison B. Rominski

B. Report on VRA’s MemberClicks implementation (R. Lawson)

C. Annual report proposal (R. Lawson)

D. Discussion of issues for Executive Board and recommendations/action items:

1. Online resources:
o AWS: Art Documentation backfile in PDF

Server hosting
News & Events information
Conference sites
E-commerce
Archiving procedures

o MemberClicks implementation

o Listserv administration

o RSS Feed

o Professional Resources

o ARLIS Reviews Online

2. Print Publications:

o Art Documentation: Production and mailing
Option to receive PDF online
PDFs for EBSCO

o Handbook/Directory: PDF version for downloading

o Occasional Papers

3. Communications and publications program finances:

o Marketing: Implementing approved plan

o Advertising: Identify new sources, incentives

o Sponsorship: Liaison with Development Committee

o RSS Feed

o Professional Resources

o ARLIS Reviews Online

Advertisements

ARLIS/NA Membership Meeting Agenda
Grand Hyatt Denver – Grand Ballroom
May 5, 2008 8:00-10:00 a.m.

Call to Order

President’s Report

Headquarters Report

Treasurer’s Report

Secretary’s Report

Summer Educational Institute Report

Denver Conference Report

Indianapolis Conference Preview

Guest Speaker, Loriene Roy, President, ALA

Remembrances

Scheduled announcements

Membership Dues Increases

Open Forum

Introductions and Acknowledgements

Outgoing Executive Board Members

Incoming Executive Board Members

Ken Soehner, President, 2008-2009

Adjourn

The ARLIS/NA Collection Development Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, 3 May from 1 to 2 P.M. at the Grays Peak room in the Hyatt Conference Center.

This is billed as a “brown bag” meeting, so feel free to bring lunch if you haven’t already eaten. (I’m sure the hotel would like us to point out that box lunches are available for purchase at “1876,” the hotel restaurant.)

A major agenda item will be our transition from “Discussion Group” to “Special Interest Group.” Last year in Atlanta we agreed that we wanted to make this change as soon as the SIG option is available. With luck, we will have some information on the procedure for establishing a SIG by the time we meet. I hope that this will take no more than 15 minutes of our brief meeting time. The rest of the meeting will be devoted to our usual “round robin” of collection development topics. Please bring your issues to discuss.

See you in Denver.

Tim Shipe

Hello Architecture Section members, We will meet on Saturday May 3, 2008 in the Conference Center. An agenda is attached and appended below. Please send me last minute agenda items if you have them. If anyone would like to nominate themselves or someone else to become Vice-Moderator, please let me know. We also will need a Recorder to transcribe our pearls for future generations. Please someone volunteer. I am begging you.

ARLIS/NA Annual Architecture Section Meeting May 3, 2008, 5:00-6:00 PM

Section I. Section Business (15 minutes)

A. New Business/Announcements; (10 minutes)

a. AASL Conference Summary (Janine Henri, UCLA)

b. Miscellaneous Announcements B. Election of the new Vice-Moderator; any volunteers? (5 minutes)

Section II. “Slam” (15 minutes) The Slam is meant to be a structured forum in which section members can briefly outline research or publication efforts for section members. Please send Slam info to Patti Cossard pcossard@umd.edu

A. Slam participants are self-identified pre-conference (in our case research project announcements)

B. Prior to conference, slam participants asked to:

a. Provide one paragraph describing project and what type of collaboration is sought

b. Provide one powerpoint slide representative of project

c. Prepare one minute maximum oral presentation of project and call for collaboration; one-minute limit will be rigidly enforced with a gong

Section III. New National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Standards for Architecture Libraries (15-20 minutes)

A. Janine Henri will discuss the previous NAAB Accreditation process

B. Susan Lewis or another member of the AASL-ARLIS/NA NAAB Accreditation Task Force in attendance will discuss its activities

C. Discussion

Alan Michelson

The ARLIS/NA Teaching Librarians Discussion Group is scheduled for a brown bag meeting on Sunday, May 4 from 1-2pm in Longs Peak. Please forward any topics you would like discussed to kristai@ucr.edu by Wednesday, April 30.

In addition, we are looking for a recorder for the meeting. If interested please contact Andrea at andrea@temple.edu.

For those concerned about lunch, a brown bag (make it yourself buffet) option is available in the hotel restaurant.

Thanks and see you soon.

Andrea Goldstein
Temple University

Krista Ivy
University of California, Riverside

The agenda for the meeting of the ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee is below. The outgoing chair is Tim Shipe; the incoming chair is Marilyn Russell.

The committee is looking for some new members. If you think you might be interested in a possible appointment to the Public Policy Committee, feel free to join us to get a sense of our work. If you would like to let Marilyn know in advance of your possible interest, you are welcome to contact her (mrussell@HASKELL.edu). But this is not required.

For further information on the committee, see our web site at http://www.arlisna.org/organization/com/pubpol/index.html.

Thanks
Tim

—————————————————————————————————–

Agenda for ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee Meeting

Denver, Saturday, 3 May 2008, 9:30-11:00 A.M.

Introductions and General Updates.

Section 108 developments. (Discussion of the Study Group’s final report and recommended legislation. Next steps for the Public Policy Committee)

Orphan Works Developments. (Discussion of the Register of Copyright’s report to Congress, draft legislation, reactions from portions of the visual arts community, and next steps for the Public Policy Committee)

Committee Goals for 2008/2009.

Committee Website. (Need a volunteer to be the web editor)

New assignments (which members will monitor and report on which issues, lists, etc.?). See the annual report for current assignments, and be prepared to volunteer for new or continued assignment.

Program ideas for Indianapolis conference.

Are you interested in diversity issues?

The ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee is seeking new members for 2008-2009.
Please join us for our annual business meeting on Saturday, May 3 from 10-11am. For information about the committee and its past accomplishments, take a look at the committee’s website at:
http://www.arlisna.org/organization/com/diversity/index.html

If you are interested in joining this committee or have questions, please email me at: krista.ivy@ucr.edu
Sincerely,
Krista Ivy
ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee Chair

Dear Colleagues,

This is a reminder that I will be serving as this year’s conference proceedings editor. I will be gathering papers, presentations, virtual posters, and/or minutes from all sessions, workshops, and meetings for the conference. As last year, this year’s proceedings will be entirely web-based and accessible on the ARLIS/NA website, therefore full-text and PowerPoint presentations of sessions and workshops are preferable formats. If you will be moderating a session and are confident that your speakers will be able to provide electronic copies of their remarks, you do not need to appoint a recorder for the session. If, however, you cannot be sure that your speakers will have electronic versions of their presentations, please do appoint a recorder. We hope to document as much content of the conference as possible.

Since some of you might be including copyrighted images in your presentations, please note that you will need to secure permission from the vendor/creator prior to publishing them in the proceedings. All authors publishing full presentations in any format will be asked to sign the Publication Agreement on the ARLIS/NA website (http://www.arlisna.org/artdoc/cta.pdf).

Conference proceedings materials should be sent to me electronically at elearned@rwu.edu. The deadline is June 12, 2008.

See you soon in Denver!

Betsy Peck Learned
elearned@rwu.edu

The Mount Wilson Room at the Hyatt has has been reserved for a self-scheduled meeting of the Photography Librarians Group on Sunday May 4 at 6:00 P.M.

This is just before the Big DAM Party at the Denver Museum, so I would suggest that people come prepared to go directly from the meeting to the buses, the first of which departs at 6:30.

It’s a short meeting, but there should be time enough time for us to connect with each other and throw out ideas about the next conference before moving on to the party.

See you next week,

Laura T. Harris
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Department of Photography
Joyce F. Menschel Library
212-650-2433
laura.harris@metmuseum.org

Committee and other meetings interwoven through the conference instead of all on the day before the conference starts:

Rather than require that all members contributing their time on committees show up to the conference early, this experimental approach allowed chairs to poll their members for optimal meeting times throughout the conference. This Denver First has the potential to change the way we in ARLIS/NA approach meetings — or not!